Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Apocalypse MIGHT Be Coming

Hello there,

So I'm preeeeetty sure there's a funnel cloud forming above my house as I type. At least we're in a hilly, metropolitan area (two factors that I've been told will deter an actual tornado from happening).

What an eerie evening- the sky is split- one side with dark storm clouds, thunder and rain while the other is typical Southern California blue sky and sun... AND to top it off, a coyote just ran down our sidewalk... Bear in mind that we live relatively far from any wooded areas.

Is it the apocalypse or what?

But wow- it's turning into an AMAZING sunset.


To rewind, I succumbed to eating at work last night since I didn't have any time to prepare dinner before I left. I was surprisingly able to come up with a healthy option!

spinach salad with goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, candied walnuts + salmon.

It was ah'ight...

This morning, I continued on with my workout goal and successfully completed an hour and a half yoga practice followed by 30 relatively easy minutes on the elliptical.

It felt goooooood.

I came home and put this little packet into a smoothie:

Acai berry puree (sorry, I don't know how to type the squiggly "c" in "acai..."

This packet was the unsweetened version, so I decided to solve that little problem ;) by adding a sweet fruit- strawberries. Once I put in the Vanilla Sun Warrior protein, it turned out to be quite tasty.

Also protein + antioxidant PACKED. Just the way I like it.

As I sipped on the smoothie, I busted out this little guy.

Mango = one of my top 5 favorite fruits

I'm not quite sure what's in store, but I see some sort of salmon dish in the future.

I let my little (unpictured) mix of mango, roasted red bell pepper, red onion, lime juice and chili pepper mix marinate in the fridge while I jetted off to a meeting at work where we tasted our new fall menu. Not wanting to fall prey to all the butter, potatoes and desserts that awaited me, I made sure to whip up this bowl of amazingness:

spinach, carrots, bell pepper, bartlett pear, slivered almonds and a touch of gorgonzola + whole wheat pita on the side

It turned out to be great. And it held me over while I drooled over plates of pork chops, short ribs and sweet potato/marshmallow casserole. Mmmmmm...

I'm now home, witnessing this crazy weather and relaxing. Not sure what tonight holds- maybe a salmon dish, maybe not.

I do know I got 2 AWESOME things in the mail today:

Goji Berries!!!

and THE food processor. Can't wait to give this bad boy a spin.

Catcha tomorrow with a workout update and some fun food goodies :)

****ON GOALS: Today at the gym, I got to thinking about fitness goals. I've since realized the principles that came to mind apply to pretty much any type of goal...

Whether your wish is to lose 15 pounds or run 3 miles without stopping, always keep in mind that it simply WILL NOT happen overnight. Or even in a week- if you're pursuing things in a healthy manner. If you've never been to the gym or haven't been in awhile, remind yourself that getting there is half the battle!

While I was on the elliptical machine, I started telling myself, "Gah! I should really be able to move faster or stay at this pace for longer," but then I remembered: "MADDIE! This is your third day working out after being out of it for over a year. Give yourself a break. Just be glad you're here and taking the steps necessary to get fit." (Side note: I really do have conversations in my head)

So whenever you're down because you had a not-so-great workout, bombed an audition or missed out on that promotion you were really going for, remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. The fact that you're even going to the gym, making it into the audition room or striving for a promotion is awesome enough. Keep on truckin' and I promise, eventually you'll get to where you want to be!



No comments:

Post a Comment