Friday, September 24, 2010

Nourishing the Mind

The morning got off to a GREAT start... I was up and at 'em earlier than usual, due to my weekly nutrition class at Pasadena City College.


I love morning light.


And school! (Yes, I'm a total nerd- hi)

Before I left, I ate this delicious take on a Fitnessista breakfast cookie.


Mine included:
  • 1/2 cup of (uncooked) oats
  • splash of almond milk
  • 1 heaping tbsp of almond butter
  • dash cinnamon
  • whole smashed banana
  • a drop of Stevia extract
  • some dark chocolate chips
I mashed it all up last night, put it in the fridge and, this morning: Hello yummy breakfast!!

I also rewarded myself for getting out of bed at 6:30am to go to a class VOLUNTARILY with this:



An iced venti coffee with a splash of soy milk + one pump of Pumpkin Spice.

Mmmm... Delish.

I drank 2 huge bottles of agua throughout the 3 hour class and did a whole lot of learning!

Today we talked about carbohydrates-
how the body digests/absorbs them and the different types we need to survive (because contrary to what Dr. Atkins would have you believe, we definitely NEED them).

Things I learned today that I want to share with you:
  1. It is recommended that a person consume at LEAST 25-30 grams of fiber per day (check out the nutrition facts on your loaf of bread at home- makes ya think, huh?!)
  2. It's a myth that sugar causes hyperactivity in children and adults. (it's most likely caffeine and their surroundings that are upping their energy)
  3. It's also a myth that brown sugar (including SUGAR IN THE RAW- aw man!) is better for you than white sugar. It's still refined and your intake should be kept to a minimum.
  4. Those meal substitute protein bars and shakes that companies try to sell you? THEY'RE NOT REALLY GOING TO INDUCE SUSTAINED WEIGHT LOSS. In fact, they're just leaving you unsatisfied and more likely to gorge later on a real meal full of the fats, carbs and proteins your body is craving- and not necessarily the good kinds.
A quote that really stuck with my was this:

"You'll get more nutrition and satisfaction by going back to basics."

My thoughts exactly! Whole foods are the answer. The question? Real, healthy weight loss; lackluster energy levels; good health in general.

So forget those fad diets, meal replacement plans and "easy fixes" that big companies try to sell you in magazines or on TV. NOTHING will do the trick and give your body what it needs like real unprocessed food (and regular exercise of course).

Gah, I LOVE that class. I wish I could go everyday!

Now off to play with my other passion: acting- on the other side of town, of course. Gotta love LA!

See ya laterrrr

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment