Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fun with Wrenches

I'm sure you're all wondering how the seitan dish came out last night... so I'll go ahead and quell the anticipation ;)


It wasn't too bad. Though the plate could use some red for beauty's sake...

Last night was a total experiment through and through. The only real "recipe" I followed was for Angela's High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to be a horrible judge of my own food. It might taste okay to me, but then I worry, "Not everyone likes crazy combinations like brussel sprouts sauteed with apples, onions and cinnamon."


The same goes for baked goods- since I tend to try a lot of vegan or less sweet versions of things, I worry that some people may brush it off as not sweet enough or, even worse, a total bust!

Does anyone else have this problem?

So dinner.

I sauteed the seitan (it would have been awesome with some bell pepper and onion but I was out) with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then did the same with the brussel sprouts + sliced apple, red onion and cinnamon.


Your standard meat n' potatoes- healthified.

Alex made brownies for dessert.


With real butter and eggs. Mmmm...

I enjoyed a little piece while watching the new Top Chef.


Then made him take the rest of his brownies to work today!

The leftover seitan made an appearance at lunch. After an intense (but awesome) gym day of 30 minutes on the Stairmaster + iron pumping, I was craving some mad protein.

Instead of my standard smoothie, I decided to go with a scramble.


In the mix: 1 egg, 1 egg white, leftover seitan strips, red onion and goat cheese + a side of leftover protein potatoes. BOY, did it hit the spot!!

Where's the green?

Right here, of course:


After lunch, I moved onto my kitchen project for the day: Pumpkin granola bars, inspired by this post by Heather.

If you recall my last go at homemade granola bars, it didn't turn out so great.

This time, with pumpkin, sugar and chocolate involved, my hopes were HIGH!

Heather's recipe calls for toffee bits and I could not, for the life of me, find a place in my area that sells plain "toffee bits." Instead, I used the need as an excellent excuse to buy these babies:


(My favorite candy bar and ice cream topping, in case you were wondering)

That's where the wrench comes in.


I had to turn them into "bits" somehow.


I added them to the dry mix,


along with this spice of the gods:


Every aroma I adore in one tiny bottle... yum.

I melted some Earth Balance, instead of real butter.


Got my two mixes together


Combined


Then poured and spread into the pan.


Out they same...


In a word?


Success.

I'll post some better pics tomorrow since they still need to cool and I've got to head to work.

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment