Monday, November 8, 2010

The Problem with Superwoman

Hi there guys and girls,

Remember my goal for the week I mentioned yesterday?

Well, less than 12 hours after posting it, I was forced to break it!

Forced is a strong word. I guess I didn't HAVE to but...

I woke up to a house with no power.

I'll look at it as a blessing in disguise since it made me extremely grateful for electricity.

I realized that without it, you cannot:
  • make coffee (no working grinder to make the whole beans usable)
  • get online
  • open the refrigerator (for fear of cool air escaping)
  • blow dry my hair (IF I actually did this regularly, it would matter)
  • watch TV (another thing I don't usually do in the morning, but still)
... You get the point. The main things I do to start my engine in the morning? Coffee, breakfast and blog reading/email checking.

After I've done those things, I can approach the rest of the day with full mental clarity ;)

In order to make it happen today, I had to duck into one of my favorite coffee shops in Hollywood, Groundwork, to have breakfast/coffee and surf the web for a bit:

It worked out! All became right in the world once again and I headed to Runyon Canyon for a brisk hike. Since I didn't want to lug my camera along the trail, phone camera photos will have to suffice:

downtown skyline
mini white blob aka Hollywood sign
random but beautiful trail view

Either my lens is dirty or iphone cameras do a good job of bringing out the smog over LA. Now that I look more closely, I'm pretty sure it's my scratched-to-hell phone camera lens.

One of the best things about living in Southern California: a beautiful hike is only a ten minute drive away- in practically every direction.

The trail I chose today definitely brought my heart rate up and, despite the chilly wind, forced me to break a sweat but I still wanted hard facts about how my body was responding to the energy it was exerting.

I'm thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor/ calorie burning/ distance measuring device... I'm so technically savvy, I know. ;)

I've heard Garmin makes a good product.

Anyone know of a better device they can vouch for?

Advice would be MUCH appreciated because those things can be price.y.

After the hike, I came home to a house with working electrical outlets! Hurrah!

I was able to run the blender and make a mango/ banana/ spinach protein smoothie:

I did some work on a scene I'm set to perform in class tonight and got to thinking about time.

Ah, time. There's never enough of it... After "falling back" early yesterday morning, it now seems like there's even less time to squeeze in everything I want to do in a day.

Here's where priorities come into play, and I've got many. In a perfect world, they could all be number 1.

To name a few:
  • My boyfriend
  • My family
  • My friends
  • This blog
  • My acting craft
  • My acting career
  • Exercise
  • Eating right (developing recipes AND trying new types of food)
  • Oh yeah, and free leisure time to chillax- fugget about it.
Something not on the list that takes up a big chunk of my time (necessarily so, as I have to pay my rent and bills somehow): my serving job.

That's A LOT to do in a mere span of 9 waking hours (on average).

So what gives?

Sure, I can plan out my day by the minute, but having flexibility in your life and schedule is key, in my opinion.

I could wake up at 6:30 every morning but that would leave me sleep-deprived, miserable and exhausted.

OR, as much as my super woman-inclined self likes to deny this, I could slow down and relax.

When I (or any of us) attempt to squeeze everything and anything into every.single.day. we can't help but go a little crazy, stress ourselves out and on top of it all: miss out on some of those amazingly swell, yet ordinary moments that are made possible only by allowing the chips to fall where they may.

It seems like all of us are working so hard now to one day get to a place where we no longer have to work, and can simply enjoy.

But what if that day never comes?

I don't think we can live on that sort of gamble. We've got to learn to take the time to enjoy now.

Speaking of enjoyment, here's lunch:

sweet potato fries, a hearty spinach based salad and a meat substitute protein left over from the dinner party last night (I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but I know it's soy free and I'll find out from my dear hostess ASAP and pass it along to ya).

Okay, I've got to go finish memorizing these lines.

I'll see you tomorrow :)

Have a Happy Tuesday!

... And relax. You're so lucky to be who you are, where you are and what you are. Right now.






No comments:

Post a Comment