Monday, November 1, 2010

Enjoyment, Birfday Style

Hi everybody,

Happy November!

I think it's safe to say that it'll be Christmas Christmas Christmas from now until January 1.

Good news for everyone: since today is officially my birthday, it'll be the last time you hear me mention it for another year ;)

As I told you yesterday, today was my day to get back on the healthy-eatin' train after a weekend of sheer bliss and indulgence.

But you better believe that wasn't going to stop me from eating what I wanted, when I wanted it on this special day.

For breakfast? Why cake, of course:

Perfect Protein Pancakes, to be exact. Thank you, Fitnessista.

As a pre-cursor to the cakes, I enjoyed a better than ever cup of coffee since I finally used up all my Trader Joe beans and was able to move onto the LA Mill Coffee "crazy bold beans" (I named them myself).

To die for.

After the scrumptious breakfast and, yes, solo candle-blowing ;) I headed to my private gym (aka the living room) and pumped some iron.

My guide for the workout session?

None other than the first book that introduced me to the world of health and nutrition, The Abs Diet For Women.

I will say that I don't go by everything this tome says, since they highlight cutting carbs (your body NEEDS those, remember?) and eating lean animal proteins (chicken's not my thing so I look for other plant based proteins), but all in all I think this book serves as a great easy to read, all-encompassing introduction into the world of how your body works, burns calories and responds to different food sources.

It's also packed with a good amount of weight lifting exercises for your abs, arms and legs.

After that was done, I headed to the real gym and got on the elliptical for 30 insane minutes. Today was especially great in the cardio department, as I had a whole list of new tunes (Hello, Black-Eyed Peas!!) and attempted to peruse the current of Women's Health as I glided.

Though the font was too small for me to comprehend while bouncing up and down, I found that looking at all the pictures, headlines and super strong chicks up in those pages got me even more motivated than usual to get moving. Time flew and I was in a sweat before minute 7.

(Though the sweat could also have something to the fact that the thermometers in So Cal are slowing creeping into the high 80's and 90's this week. 'Cuse me?)

After the gym, I stopped by Nature Mart to pick up some kale, cucumbers and apples for green juice then headed home for a smoothie:

2 tbs of hemp seeds, 1/2 cup cherries, 1 frozen banana, water and spinach.

I did a little work, then got to thinking about lunch.

I was craving pasta and since it's my day, I had just that:

brown rice pasta with sauteed broccoli, red bell pepper, garlic, shallots, garbanzo beans and goat cheese

To top it all off, I added a personal touch:

homegrown oregano. (I learned today that oregano may contain cancer-preventing qualities, so sprinkle away!)

I don't know about you, but as I chopped the shallot for the pan, I wondered about the difference between a shallot and its larger cousin red onion. Is it just the size? Taste? What?

I pulled out this indispensable guide that I picked up at Whole Foods on a whim about a year ago:

and discovered that shallots are more like garlic in the way they grow (in cloves) and have a "sweet, delicate flavor," while red onions- also known as Italian onions- turn "smoky, sweet and soft" when you cook 'em.

Okay, I probably could have surmised that myself through personal experience but the Produce Guide contains a whole bunch of other really cool info!

I'm going to hop in the shower and get ready for a short acting class tonight (I'm leaving early because IT'S MY BIRTHDAY).

Before I go, I'd like to say how grateful I am for all the lovely people who read this blog on the regular or even from time to time. I have a blast writing it and am glad to know there are people out there who dig it too!

A quote I found the other day is going to be my personal new year resolution (because honestly, the only people whose new year falls on January 1 are those born on the day ;)

"What you are afraid to do is a clear indication of the next thing you need to do."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

With that, I'll leave you to it!

See you tomorrow when there will be no mention of birthdays... (actually, you never know)

see ya lata, y'all

xo
mads

No comments:

Post a Comment