Sunday, October 31, 2010

Plottin' Plannin' Schemin'

Happy Halloween everybody!

This year marks the first time [ever?] I haven't dressed up for the occasion.

I'm not sure why- I just never got that wave of costume inspiration and all weekend, I've been perfectly content with celebrations of a low key nature, like the dinner date with my love and a PG-rated birthday celebration!

Speaking of, last night was tons of fun.

Alex's cousins came over and we carved pumpkins after dinner:

It turned into a competition for $5 (that I lost, of course)

After I got over my defeat, we had birthday cake!

Baskin Robbins ice cream cake to be exact... mmm mmm good!

When Alex brought the cake out, the 3 kids sighed with immense disappointment, "That's the smallest cake everrrrr..."

And thank God it was, since I was faced with this when I opened the freezer this morning:

Alex and I may or may not have spent our Sunday finishing this thing in its entirety just to get. it out. of the house.

But then we still have this to contend with:

Lucky for me, I'm heading to work tonight so this giant dish will be out of sight and out of mind.

While I'm still around the house, it'll stay right here in a place I can't reach:

This morning before cake, Alex and I went to Millie's Coffee Shop down the street for some breakfast.

I had a breakfast burrito:

with one of their DELICIOUS homemade biscuits on the side.

Today has been spent lounging and schemin' for the upcoming week back to the happy/healthy grind!

How great plans are born:
Before I head to work tonight, I fully intend to have the entire week ahead plotted out in terms of meals, workouts and work goals (not of the waitressing kind ;)

This detailed planning has been something I've done since childhood. I remember stretches in middle school where I would literally type up a schedule for my day- down to the minute.

An example?

6:30 Wake up
6:35 Brush teeth
6:40 Make up bed
6:45 Eat breakfast
7:00 Take shower
7:30 Leave for school

...etc. You get the point!

Well, my plans nowadays aren't quite so specific but the same checklist principle applies.

Are you having trouble sticking to a healthy lifestyle? Or maybe you've got a bad habit of eating out for every meal, even though your bank account would beg and plead with you to resist-if only it could talk?

If you've got a habit you're trying to break, or maybe a good one you're trying to incorporate into your life, it's all about making it a priority. I find by writing it all out (or drawing, if you're so inclined), you can make it a much more feasible reality.

A tidbit of my plan for the week?

Exercise

Monday- 30 minutes cardio + weight training core and arms

Tuesday- Spin Class + Yoga

Wednesday- 30 minutes cardio + weight training lower body

Thursday- Light Yoga

Friday- 30 minutes cardio + weight training core and arms

The eating plan is a bit more detailed and involved, but to give you an idea:
  • I go through my favorite cookbooks and recipes to find a couple dishes I'd like to try during the week to keep things interesting
  • I take inventory of my fridge and pantry to see what I've got left to use up and am sure to incorporate them into my upcoming meals asap
  • I make one master grocery list to include everything I'll need for the planned meals, along with basic staples for breakfasts, snacks, salads and juice
This planning might take some time you're not willing to part with on your oh-so-precious Sunday but I can tell you without a doubt that it is THE best way to kickoff a healthy lifestyle plan for yourself.

As the weeks go by and you become more accustomed to everything, the planning will take less time and fresh, clean, seasonable eating will be second nature.

As always, if you've got questions or want help making a plan for yourself, email me! mbee321@gmail.com

Since I've been taking great culinary advantage of my birthday weekend, it's time for me to get back on track and help my body rid itself of all the birthday cake and goodies it's not used to taking in.

Green juice, hefty salads, whole grains and protein-rich legumes are going to be my belly's best friend during this first week of my new year on Earth.

Best wishes to you all as the week commences and ENJOY those Halloween treats!!

xo
Maddie


3 comments:

  1. Hi love bug!! Love this blog and so happy to finally know what you are up to. I will be coming to LA in the early spring and would love to see you. You should also call my best friend Paige who lives in LA!!! So proud of you!! Ali (Allison Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, which pumpkin won the contest? I vote for the second from the right (the three-eyed one)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the three-eyed pumpkin is cool too! the winner ended up being the mustached second one to the right (incidentally belonging to the middle child- you know how that goes ;)

    ReplyDelete