Friday, October 29, 2010

The Lap of Luxury

It's Friiiiiiday!

And so begins my birthday weekend (or month- whichever ;)...

While driving yesterday, I saw a couple random things that highlight why I love the crazy city I live in.

1.
(no offense smokers, I just think it's hilarious that this was chillin' on the median in the middle of a high traffic area- you'd NEVER see this in the Carolinas)

2.
(Sigh)

Before work last night, I had some dinner:

quinoa, roasted broccoli, green beans, squash and onion

Work was work.

This morning, I arose early for nutrition class and had some breakfast:

2 boiled eggs and whole wheat toast with Earth Balance

In class we discussed the importance of calcium intake- ESPECIALLY for women under 30!

TURNS OUT: a woman has accrued all the bone density she's ever going to have by the age of 30 (some studies are now saying even earlier- like 25-27).

This means we 20-something ladies need to pay extra careful attention to our calcium and vitamin D intake, since we're nearing the end of our bones' ability to accumulate mass.

A couple things to know:
  • While many think that calcium is all it takes, the fact is: Vitamin D is ESSENTIAL in bone health as it aids in the uptake and storage of calcium in the body. Moral of the story: You can't retain calcium without the presence of vitamin D.
  • Your adequate intake of vitamin D can be had by spending 15-30 unprotected minutes (yes, that means no sunscreen) in the sun daily. Science is still trying to determine the most vitamin d-rich foods... For now, the main edible sources include some fish (cod, shark, halibut), eggs and butter but none of them contain vast amounts. If you're really concerned, look into an over the counter supplement. Or just go outside and enjoy (my personal fav in life) the sun.
  • Your body is only able to absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time. If you think you're dong yourself a favor by taking that 1,000 mg calcium pill from the bottle, think again. In actuality, your body will take 500 mg from it and excrete the rest. Be sure to break up your intake of calcium-rich foods and/or supplements throughout the day.
Women over 30, have no fear! While you can no longer create bone density, there are still a number of ways to retain the great bone strength you've already got.

The best ways to do so are:
  • Quit smoking! (that one seems to come up a lot)
  • Get plenty of calcium and vitamin D in your diet and/or lifestyle.
  • Exercise Regularly. Research tells us that weight-bearing exercise is the best way to slow bone degradation. I was going to try and explain it myself, but I think this little tidbit sums it up quite nicely:
"Weightbearing exercise is any activity you do while on your feet and legs that works your muscles and bones against gravity. During weightbearing exercise, bone adapts to the impact of weight and the pull of muscle by building more bone cells. Consequently, bone becomes stronger and more dense.

Weightbearing exercise includes:

  • walking
  • jogging
  • hiking
  • dancing
  • step aerobics
  • soccer
  • baseball
  • basketball
  • tennis, racquetball
  • bowling"
Bowling! Imagine that- you can gather a group of friends, down a couple pitchers (ok, not too many), bowl your heart out AND save your bones all at the same time? Sign me up!

I got the info here.

After class, I headed to Old Pasadena to kill time before my haircut and free facial (I won a gift certificate back in February and the expiration date was coming up this Sunday).

I did a little shopping.

Apparently, I'm attracted to a very definite color scheme (please take note gift buyers- aka moms ;)

After a few minor successes in the shopping department, I headed to the Aveda salon for my appointments.

"Holy malarky!" is the only thing I could say to myself the whole 2 hours I was there. From the scalp massage to the provided magazines to that AH-mazing 45 minute facial, I.was.in.heaven.

I don't treat myself too often, so this was definitely something to relish in.

And THEN, it turned out the whole thing was free with the certificate!! I tipped my ladies generously and headed home, beaming from ear to ear. What a nice pre-birthday treat!

I walked into the kitchen and turned this (minus the clutter in the back):

Into this:

Since I was STARVING, I downed it quickly while watching President Obama on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (ehhhhh...)

Now my dears, I've got to excuse myself and head to the mirror to get ready for my hot date tonight.

I'm hoping that gargantuan salad serves as a good base for all the glutenous fancies I intend to stuff myself with this evening.

Have a beautiful Friday!

See you tomorrow :)

Tip of the day: Treat yourself! You'll be glad you did.

Love
maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment