Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Splurgin'

Wassup party people!?

Hope this Sunday has been a relaxing one for all...

Mine has consisted of a little splurging and a whole lot of football (not necessarily by choice).

To rewind, the family dinner was BOMB last night- we went to a really fun Mexican restaurant in Huntington Park, where I [shock!] left my camera in the car, but happily downed 2 Cadillac margaritas, a cheese quesadilla the size of my head + spanish rice and beans. There was birthday cake. It was chocolate... you can imagine what I did to my slice.

Now, you might be thinking, "Maddie?! How could you? A cheese quesadilla- do you know how greasy those are? And the sugar in a margarita? Chocolate cake?! Omygod, I've given up hope..."

Hold your imaginary horses, friends. While I am (obviously) a firm believer in healthy living and eating, there are times in life when you just have to throw caution to the wind and join in the fun. As long as you're not doing it everyday, a little splurging is essential every once and awhile.

With that philosophy in mind, I'll get on with this morning's activities.

Seeing as I consumed my weight in cheese and tequila last night, I thought it appropriate to start this morning off with a super cleansing green juice + fresh organic strawberries.

It did the job.

I then set off to get started on: the closet of death.

I suppose the best way to describe it is a "his and hers" style setup. Since we moved in (4 months ago), this closet has served as a place to haphazardly hang clothes, dump shoes and... throw random mess into.

Case in point.

I got to work cleaning it out, sorting, sweeping and trashing a whole lot of stuff. Cleansing the body and cleansing the home go hand in hand I think ;)

Once I'd done all I could in that department, it was time for some errand running. After trying with all my might, I was finally able to get Alex off of the couch and logged out of his fantasy football online convo.

The only way to do it was to lure him with chocolate, so we ended up at:

Shaky Alibi- a new liege waffle and coffee place on Beverly Blvd.

Mira highly recommended it yesterday and since I am never one to turn down a fresh take on Belgian waffles, I decided to give it a try.

We started out with some iced coffees (mine with soy milk, Alex's with mocha)

And moved onto the main event... waffles.

Mine = dark chocolate with bananas

His = the Belgian spread speculoos, which tastes an awful lot like toffee and graham cracker puree + bananas

de.lish.us.

The owner of the place was super nice and came over to describe the process of making the waffles and let us know that all of their ingredients, from the coffee to the sugar to the spreads were all imported from France or Belgium.

You do NOT have tell me twice.

I'll definitely be back...

Alex and I hit up Home Depot, where we did a little more splurging.

Then, we had to RUSH back to the house so he could catch the Philadelphia/Redskins game and I could be the handyman of the house.

All the strenuous screwdriving work paid off and the closet of death is no more:

Ta-da!!

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

I just put this bad boy together:

Mixed greens, raw green beans, beets, whole wheat couscous, bell pepper, goat cheese, hummus, carrots, Mary's cracker crumbles + balsamic vinaigrette

I think a see ahi tuna in my future (we have an ah-mazing dish at work that I might just have to *surprise* splurge on this evening).

So I'm off to work, then HOPEFULLY home in time for Boardwalk Empire and/or Madmen... Wow, the last episode of Madmen was really good, no?!

I've been thinking of my goal for this week and the more I ponder, the more my mind wanders back to creativity... It's so essential to my sanity, not to mention my craft. I work well with black and white/checklist sorts of goals, so I'm still trying to figure out what my weeklong "creativity goal" will consist of, but you betta believe you guys'll be the first to know.

Enjoy your Sunday eve, prep to make this week a GREAT one and if you've got a weeklong goal, please let me know in the comments section because I'd love to know I'm not alone in this ;)

Love and luck to all,
Mads xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment